Engineer - Test Operations
ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. ("Firefly") is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operations of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles. Firefly’s launch vehicles utilize common technologies, manufacturing infrastructure, and launch capabilities, providing LEO launch solutions for up to ten metric tons of payload. Combined with Firefly’s in-space vehicles, such as the Space Utility Vehicle (SUV) and Blue Ghost Lunar Lander, Firefly provides the space industry with a single source for missions from LEO to the surface of the Moon or beyond. This position is located at our manufacturing and test facility in Briggs, TX, north of Cedar Park.
The engineer for this position will support Firefly’s Flight and Test Operations team. This team is responsible for the operation of all the test stands at Firefly’s Testing Site in Briggs, Texas as well as launch operations at our launch sites, such as Vandenberg, California. If you’re the type of person that wants to know every last detail regarding the operation, function and performance of a rocket, Test and Launch Operations is the place for you. Operations engineers partner with engineers from across the company to test and validate hardware all in the pursuit of making flight worthy components. Best of all, they launch the rockets. Firefly is a new aerospace company, full of creative and talented people, and the engineers in Flight and Test Operations are the where the “Lox hits the TEA-TEB”.
Engineers on this team are responsible for not just partnering with their fellow engineers to hash out plans to test components to their flight-like limits, but also developing the required infrastructure, mechanical, electrical and software, to support these tests. Engineers are expected to be fast on their feet, adaptive and responsive to challenges. They are expected to be in the field, working in hands on and time sensitive applications. Operations Engineers are expected to be self-sufficient, driven and highly motivated engineers up for learning new skills and taking on challenges to excel.
- Develop test and launch procedures to check out and operate launch vehicle systems and subsystems
- Execute test and launch plans and procedures on console, using voice comm systems and data display and control systems
- Participate in resolving any issues and non-conformances that arise during operations, and support failure and anomaly investigations, troubleshooting and resolution development
- Design and develop automated scripts that support test and launch operations
- Work with test site and launch site responsible engineers to optimize test and launch systems designs and operation
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities for performance, reliability, and cost
- Ensure all operations are performed on time, safely and in a professional manner
- Analyze and review data to ensure that hardware is operating as expected utilizing numerical data analysis tools to interpret test results
- BS in Engineering or related engineering discipline
- Exceptional comprehension of engineering fundamentals
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience with 3D and 2D CAD software
- Ability to lift 30 pounds and to be on your feet all day when required
- Ability to work on test stands and use standard mechanical and electrical tools
- Willingness to travel to support launch operations in California. (Max, 25%)
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings, including GD&T and P&IDs
- Experience building, troubleshooting or operating fluid systems
- Experience with test plan generation
- Ability to perform computations for fluid systems (e.g., pressure drop, valve timing, etc.) for liquids, cryogenic liquids, and gases
- Independent, driven and able to develop solutions with minimal guidance and oversight
- Works well in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high pressure fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with instrumentation and instrumentation deployment methods
- Familiarity with data acquisition and control methods, and data analysis tools
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status
Something looks off?