Mechanical Engineer (Ground Support Equipment)
ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Come be a part of the 21st Century Space Race. At Firefly, we are focused on the leading edge of space systems progression. Our company is committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles and spacecraft. To get there, we are looking for incredibly passionate, bright, and determined people to join our team.
As a Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Engineer, you will leverage your creative background and expertise to help develop innovative solutions for the application of space technology. You will be responsible for designing and implementing ground infrastructure to support completed ground operations for production, test and launch facilities. You will work in small collaborative groups through all stages of the component and system design. You will provide the knowledge and expertise to develop requirements and integrate with new and existing systems.
- Own the project through requirements generation, design, analysis, material/component selection, construction, testing and activation of handling equipment, tooling, & structures used to support production, testing and launch operations across several programs.
- Develop 3D CAD of components and assemblies
- Perform structural analysis on parts and assemblies
- Work with manufacturing engineers, fabricators, welders, and 3rd party vendors to determine manufacturability of designs.
- Host design reviews for stakeholders and receiving and incorporating feedback into designs
- Perform detailed drafting of part and assembly drawings following GD&T company drafting standards.
- Work with fabricators during the build phase to provide guidance and troubleshoot manufacturing issues as needed.
- Develop structural proof test plans, activation test plans, test reports, and other design documentation to hand off to the customer.
- Use engineering principles and fundamentals to provide reliable and manufacturable solutions for technically challenging problems.
- Collaborate with Vehicle, Test, Manufacturing, Production, and Launch engineers & technicians to establish individual task scope and feasibility.
- Demonstrate a willingness to seek creative, novel, and different ways to accomplish outcomes.
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related engineering discipline
- 3+ years of focused, hands on experience designing mechanical or structural systems.
- Strong understanding of first-principles in Mechanical and Structural design.
- Strong 3D CAD experience, preferably in Siemens NX/Teamcenter.
- Experience performing structural analysis of parts and assemblies, utilizing FEA or hand calculations, and reporting results of the analysis.
- Comprehension of design fundamentals including tolerancing, ASME Standards, ASTM, and GD&T.
- Knowledge of fabrication, welding, machining and assembly practices.
- Capable of balancing detailed design tasks with higher level project management type tasks, including budgeting, scheduling, and communications.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure fast-paced environment
- Works well in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment and able to follow direction.
- Willingness to travel in support of GSE activations at multiple Firefly locations up to 15% of the time
- Demonstrated creation of successful Ground Support Equipment (GSE) or related structural designs, including welded structures, mechanisms, production & manufacturing tooling, test fixturing, or launch site infrastructure.
- Experience in fluid system design (LOx, GN2, LN2, hydraulics, TEA-TEB, RP1, ..)
- Experience in developing test and operations procedure writing.
- Experience in an oil & gas, R&D or aerospace environment
- Familiarity with instrumentation, data acquisition, and control methods.
- Familiarity with AFSPCMAN, AWS, AISC standards related to structural design
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?