Structures Engineer - Launch Vehicle
ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles. Firefly’s launch vehicles utilize common technologies, manufacturing infrastructure, and launch capabilities, providing LEO launch solutions for up to ten metric tons of payload. Combined with Firefly’s in-space vehicles, such as the Space Utility Vehicle (SUV) and Blue Ghost Lunar Lander, Firefly provides the space industry with a single source for missions from LEO to the surface of the Moon or beyond. Firefly is headquartered in Cedar Park, TX.
Firefly is looking for talented structures engineers to develop our state-of-the-art composite structures throughout the product life cycle for both Launch Vehicles and our Blue Ghost Lunar Lander. You will be part of a highly skilled, dynamic team that will involve you in all aspects of analysis, design, fabrication, and testing. Excellent collaboration and communication skills, along with a positive attitude are critical.
- Firefly engineers own and influence the entire hardware design cycle including conceptual design, structural layout, sizing analysis, hardware production, and structural testing
- Design and development of composite and metallic structures for orbital launch applications and spacecraft
- Mass optimization of existing designs and requalifying designs
- Supporting products from conceptual creation, design release, analysis, prototype, qual and production
- Support configuration development and trade studies
- Maintain requirements, activity schedule, budget, and status
- Create CAD, manufacturing drawings, specifications, and other documentation
- Perform first order strength and sizing calculations for your structure.
- B.S. degree in aerospace, mechanical, or civil engineering and 2+ years of experience in aerospace or related structures engineering.
- Strong design and integration skills using 3-D CAD software (Siemens NX / FiberSim preferable).
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-discipline team and provide technical guidance and insight.
- Demonstrated experience with composite structures and manufacturing techniques.
- M.S. degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering and/or 5+ years of experience.
- Working knowledge of composite manufacturing methods, material selection, testing, and characterization.
- Experience with industry FEA/FEM tools like Nastran, ANSYS, FEMAP, Simcenter, etc.
- Working knowledge of additive manufacturing techniques.
- Experience developing physical tests to validate analysis and evaluate assumptions.
- Familiarity with aerospace standard structural analysis methods (Bruhn, Niu, Roark, etc).
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?