Vehicle Integration Engineer
ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles. Firefly’s launch vehicles utilize common technologies, manufacturing infrastructure, and launch capabilities, providing LEO launch solutions for up to ten metric tons of payload. Combined with Firefly’s in-space vehicles, such as the Space Utility Vehicle (SUV) and Blue Ghost Lunar Lander, Firefly provides the space industry with a single source for missions from LEO to the surface of the Moon or beyond. Firefly is headquartered in Cedar Park, TX.
Vehicle Integration engineers efficiently assemble the Alpha and Beta launch vehicles. Simply, you will own the entire process to integrate piece parts through full system level avionics and pressure checkouts. This requires the ability to intuitively understand the intention behind design decisions and direct assembly and test operations based on those intentions. It is also important that applicants can effectively instruct a diverse set of individuals on the methodologies developed. Finding a problem in the designs or assembly methods is not enough for the Vehicle Integration Engineer. Solutions are the key to a successful applicant. This role is located north of Cedar Park, in Briggs, TX.
- Write and execute vehicle assembly procedures, vehicle propulsion checkouts (including leak checks and pressurized operations), and electrical system functional validation processes.
- Design high level vehicle assembly architecture/flow, maintain and report progress on current builds, including stage 1, stage 2, and payload assemblies.
- Generate and maintain vehicle assembly schedules, including assembly ECD’s and progress reports, and lead after action reviews.
- Work with design and tooling engineers to develop and/or design vehicle assembly, checkout, and pressurization tooling.
- Collaborate with technicians and responsible engineers to ensure product quality and timelines are maintained and met
- Teach and train others to assist with assembly and integration
- Collaborate with engineering staff and technicians to resolve technical challenges swiftly and convene after action review/hot-washes for each operation to consistently improve the process.
- Work closely with designers, analysts, and responsible engineers to identify, disposition, and close issues and non-conformances for mechanical, electrical, and structural systems. Perform root cause analysis and drive further actions to improve build quality.
- Ensure BOM of designed assemblies is fulfilled and properly planned, including procurement and feasibility evaluation.
- Create work instructions and set the cadence for integration tasks.
- Support engineering in defining manufacturability, producibility, and assembly of design using industry standard parts and products
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or science based field
- Proven experience with complex assemblies, e.g. production in aviation/automotive, Oil Rig maintenance/assembly
- 2+ years hands-on assembly experience
- Able to read and interpret technical drawings and assembly instructions
- Able to intuitively understand design justifications or seek answers otherwise
- Proven experience with troubleshooting complex systems
- Proven experience working in dynamic and evolving environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to convey methodologies for assembly and troubleshooting
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills – Must be a team player
- Proven experience with tasks requiring extreme attention to detail and prolonged mental concentration
- Ability to thrive in high stakes, stressful, short deadline environments
- Experience with hazardous material safety protocols and high pressurized systems
- Experience with complex system assembly and hands on build experience preferably in space systems or aerospace applications
- Experience with writing assembly procedures or documentation for mechanical, electrical, or structural systems
- Experience writing test plans, procedures and identifying pass/fail criteria on systems.
- Expert knowledge of data analysis packages (Python/R) preferred
- Experience with pressurized systems and operation of high pressure fluid systems
- Proficient in using 3D modeling software i.e. NX (preferred) Catia, Solidworks or Inventor
- Critical thinking and strong decision making ability a must
- Experience with mechanical /structural hardware and processes, including plumbing, fasteners, fittings, carbon composites, welding, drilling, 3D printing, and measurement techniques.
- Experience with electrical hardware including harnessing, shielding, EMI protection, connectors and retainment methodologies
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?