Structural Analysis Engineer
ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. ("Firefly") is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operations of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles. Firefly’s launch vehicles utilize common technologies, manufacturing infrastructure, and launch capabilities, providing LEO launch solutions for up to ten metric tons of payload. Combined with Firefly’s in-space vehicles, such as the Space Utility Vehicle (SUV) and Blue Ghost Lunar Lander, Firefly provides the space industry with a single source for missions from LEO to the surface of the Moon or beyond. Firefly is headquartered in Cedar Park, TX.
As a Structural Analyst on the Mechanical Engineering Team, you will be responsible for analysis of various structures across multiple projects including spacecraft, launch vehicle structures, and launch and test ground support equipment. You will use your knowledge of structural analysis to improve previous designs and influence new designs by minimizing weight and at the same time ensuring conformance to program and customer strength and stability requirements. You will leverage testing of hardware to correlate and validate analysis models.
- Collaborate with design, manufacturing, and test engineering to develop hardware throughout the design lifecycle
- Perform structural analyses by classical hand calculation and finite element analysis for composites and metals.
- Perform linear and non-linear structural analysis, eigenvalue buckling analysis, non-linear buckling analysis, and modal finite element analysis using ANSYS and NX Nastran.
- Develop test requirements to ensure adequate data for analysis correlation.
- Validate finite element analysis with hand calculations and test data.
- Review internal and external analyses.
- Work with responsible and systems engineers to define required material properties and part modifications to meet structural requirements.
- Write strength and stability margins to required program safety factors.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or civil engineering and 2+ years of relevant experience, or 5+ years with a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Proficient with analytical simulation software and hand calculations for structural analysis.
- Familiarity with aerospace standard analysis methods.
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-discipline team and provide technical guidance and insight.
- Exceptional comprehension of first principles related to structures and materials.
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?